Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Independent Women Say NO - Part 3

At first I was confounded by the RNC's pic for McCain's running mate, but it didn't take long for me to become appalled and deeply concerned. This woman is an insult to our gender in my opinion, and it is VERY scary to think of someone with so little wisdom or experience catapulting to the Co-pilot's Seat of this country. Are we really so shallow in our thinking as to allow this to happen? Lord save us from ourselves! I am a registered Independent, and have long respected John McCain as a thoughtful and courageous man in the midst of a swarm of Neo-Cons. I also know that he wanted Lieberman for his running mate... But he hardly knew Sarah Palin. Considering McCain's age, the Republican VP pic is of paramount importance and this truly frightens me. A vote for Obama and Biden is a vote to save our country. Literally.
-Linda V., Tucson, AZ

I oppose John McCain’s choice of Governor Palin as his running mate for two reasons. First, I have always considered Senator McCain to be an outsider in the Republican political establishment. I respected his views on campaign finance reform. I have noticed that that ethical McCain has disappeared during the campaign, replaced by low political bickering, which has reduced the campaign to a war of nasty advertising on hot button conservative issues. Sarah Palin is nothing but a tool to solidify McCain’s appeal to his base. She symbolizes everything he is not—and distracts the media from the fact that McCain has never appealed to the Christian right. Second, if she were to assume the presidency, she is woefully underprepared to deal with the complexities of foreign relations in this age. This would leave her the prey of McCain’s political advisors—she would still be a tool, a figurehead directed by the military and establishment bureaucracy. Her experience in government is often compared to that of Senator Obama, but even as a political Independent I can see that he is, by virtue of his education and longer political experience, vastly more qualified. His answers to questions about foreign policy prove him much more knowledgeable. But I think we should also remember that the real choice is between Obama and McCain, not Obama and Palin.
-Indira G., 37, Cleveland, OH

1 step forward.... and 2 steps back for Women if McCain/Palin are elected.
-Cindy E., Registered independent, Cedar Rapids, IA

I have worked hard my whole life to be taken seriously. I am appalled that the Republican Party would attempt to overturn that work by offering an inexperienced, ill-prepared candidate as Vice President. Sarah Palin does NOT represent my views and I will not support her just because she is woman. I have been a registered Independent and have voted both GOP and Democrate always based on who I felt would lead my country well. The last eight years have been dificult to deal with and now to have that same ruling party try to cloud the issues by introducing a woman just for the sake of her being a woman – please don't insult my intelligence any further. Mr. Obama you have my VOTE!
-Linda B., 54, Los Gatos, CA

I feel Sarah Palin has one NO voice for me. She is entitled to have her own views and live HER life as she chooses. I don't believe she is entitled to tell me how to live MY life, NO government official should have this right. My religious beliefs may not be the same as hers, does this make me less of an American? I don't believe God requested this WAR, MAN did. I am pro choice, and as a women, would certainly struggle if ever needed to make this decision, but none the less, a decision I should have the right to make. I believe animal life is just as important as human life. I do understand the importance for some humane animal testing for research. I do not believe hunting was ever intended to take place from the air. This type of hunting only proves one thing she is not about fairness or equality. If she was, she would hunt from the ground, giving the animal a chance, to sense her presence, allowing them to hunt or flee as they do in their own surroundings. There is nothing fair about shooting an animal from overhead. All she represents to me is another women in the White House, she does not represent progress. She has the idea's of a male president in a women's body that's not progress.
-Stephanie C., registered Independent, Connecticut

I am a 52-year-old woman from Scottsdale, Arizona and I have never been as insulted as I was when John McCain recklessly pandered to his Republican base by selecting a totally unqualified running mate for his ticket. How dare he assume that women are nothing more than the sum of their hormones and will vote for a woman--any woman--based on gender. How dare he speak to the media (his 60 Minutes interview this week) and proclaim that someone who cannot even tell you what the Bush Doctrine is is ready for the job of president. Her preparation for the intellectual gymnastics and rigors of international and domestic finance and policy is nonexistent. Her academic preparation for the understanding of history and commerce in an ever-shrinking globe is minimal. I, for one, am not interested in a single penny of my tax dollars being used for her remedial training. She is not qualified for this job!
-Patricia M., 52, Scottsdale, AZ

I am a 67-year-old female registered Independent who has never been as frightened of the possibility of one candidate being a heart-beat away from the presidency of our nation as I am now. The nomination of Sarah Palin has made me fearful of what will happen to this country if the McCain/Palin ticket is voted into office. There are many extremely important issues facing the next president and vice-president. We need intelligent measured leaders who will use good processes to find solutions to reestablish this country as a powerful nation of integrity and morality. To think that John McCain chose such an inexperienced conservative person who knows very little about economics and international affairs shows he has poor judgment and acted not in the best interest of our country. That Sarah Palin could be President of the United States of America should make the electorate think very carefully when casting their vote.
-Marjorie V., 67

As a concerned independent female voter, I am adamantly opposed to Sarah Palin's nomination for VP of the US! It is a real slap in the face to even suggest that women who supported Hillary Clinton should now cast their votes for McCain with Palin at his side. Many of those same people are those who claimed Hillary Clinton didn't have enough experience.....but NOW they're all for this "Maverick" woman who's governor of a state with fewer people than the entire city of Chicago. I oppose vehemently!!!
-Jane K., Tucson, AZ

I am a 68-year-old independent voting woman. I have seen too much discrimination, socially and in employment, to allow a woman or a man take the gains that have been made in the last 30 years away. My daughter and my granddaughter deserve the right to choose the way they lead their lives. Sarah would take those choices from them. She will not get my vote, and thus the GOP will lose my vote for Senator McCain because of their irresponsible choice of a VP.
-Judy G., 68, Rhode Island