Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Independent Women Say NO - Part 1

I am a former Alaskan, but still an Alaskan in my heart. I was stunned and appalled by the appointment of Sarah Palin as the VP candidate. As an Independent, that absolutely slammed the lid shut on any possibility I would consider voting Republican this year. This appointment tells me the Republicans have no respect for the intelligence of the American people and that McCain will use any grandstanding stunt possible to win an election. I shudder to think of one so untrained and inept, not to mention radically right-wing, a heart-beat away from the presidency. Palin is a sop to women and a sop to the ultra-right wing of the party. It is obvious that McCain thinks women, in particular, are stupid and we'll fall for anything. There are strong, intelligent, well-qualified women in both parties—but Palin is not one of them. Why not Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine among many other qualified women?
-Marsha G., 59, Former Alaskan

I am 69 years old and registered as an independent. I find the selection of Sarah Palin a very disturbing choice for vice-president… There were many truly qualified women for John McCain to have chosen from. I can't believe that this was his choice. Let's hope that this phenomena will wear itself out as more and more is learned about Sarah Palin's policies and morals in government. I, and all my friends, will not vote for her. We are educators and business women who take government seriously. Our country has once again have become the laughing stock of the rest of the free world.
-Ann J., 69, Pescott, AZ

Sarah Palin has no business being vice-president, or God-forbid, president. I am one more woman, registered as an independent, who will NOT vote for McCain/Palin.
-Sue S., Charlotte, NC

As an independent voter, I am insulted that John McCain and his advisors would think that my vote would be secured by nominating a woman. I vote by judging the candidates by their records, their declarations and by how I want my country to go forward. Sarah Palin is not someone I want waiting in the wings in case Sen. McCain cannot serve out his presidency. I want a vice president I believe in, not a past beauty queen with very little federal government experience. The Republicans will NOT be getting this vote in November.
-Andi C., 55, Massachusetts

As an independent, I was of an open mind to Senator McCain before his choice of Sara Palin as his V.P. But clearly, Palin is not qualified to hold the position of V.P. of America, let alone the possibility of President if McCain is elected—which is very real considering the age and medical background of the Senator. The concept of Palin as President of the United States is the most ridicules idea and political trick I have yet heard of. It would be nothing short of disastrous under the best of circumstances, let alone the current state of global affairs. Does anyone have a brain out there? We must stop this potential catastrophe now. This proves just how incompetent and desperate John McCain really is.
-Rachel W., Colorado

Sarah Palin 's possible selection as vice-president of the United States is not a women's issue. It should not be a partisan issue. It is a question of common sense. As an independent voter, I have closely read the information available regarding Governor Palin's record. It is clear that Ms. Palin is in no way prepared to serve as vice-president of the United States in any than the most ceremonial aspects of that position. If this sadly uninformed, thoroughly doctrinaire politician is unqualified to be vice president, the real possibility of her serving as president must be deeply alarming to any thoughtful person regardless of gender or party affiliation.
-Paula Q., 66, Brooklyn, NY

I am a 46-year-old RN and mother of 3 who cannot stand the thought of Palin or McCain. I am registered as an independent and will be voting for Obama and Biden, who really do support women.
-S. C., 46, Ashland, OR

As an independent thinker, a working mother of five, past PTA vice president of my children's school, and a proud American woman, when Palin's nomination was announced, I kept my mind open to her. I had a lot of respect for McCain and thought, after all, it is McCain who chose her. The idea that she started out as "one of us" gave me a faint sense of connection with her. However, the more I learned about her and heard from her directly, my interest was soon replaced with deep offense. Palin and I share our gender, titles of mother, wife, and working woman, but that is all that we have in common. The more I hear her speak, she turns me off with her divisive and nasty messages and double talk. She is not my candidate, she is no Hillary, not even close. As for McCain, what a disappointment he turned out to be! He is a disgrace. How is this "Country First"? McCain lost my vote BIG TIME.
-Tami Z., Pacific Palisades, CA

I've been waiting most of my life for a presidential candidate who makes me WANT to vote for them, as opposed to voting for the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen this time either. As an independent, I have voted Republican on a couple of occasions, but I can no longer tolerate 4 more years of the same rhetoric. It scares the living daylights out of me that we have this maverick running for VP who will not support stem cell research, nor a woman's right to choose, and she thinks that global warming is not increasing due to human foibles. The gender of the candidate does not concern me...the experience, and ability to think objectively, and keep one's religious convictions at bay is very important to me. If McCain gets in, we all need to pray that he has good health for 4 years.
-Mary M., Newburyport, MA

Sarah Palin has absolutely no qualifications to be vice president or president of the United States… By selecting her, John McCain has lost all of my respect and has put our country in harm’s way. I'm a 62-year-old woman who has voted since I was 21, and for 20 years I was a card-carrying member of the Republican party. When it was no longer the party of fiscal responsibility, and merely a mouthpiece for the religious right, I bailed out. As an Independent, and a social liberal, I could not possibly vote for McCain now because of his frightening choice for vice president.
-Mary E., 62

As an independent woman in the United States, I say NO to Sarah Palin. Our government should not be run by a right-wing woman who makes her decisions based on unscientific and archaic religious beliefs.
-Lisa B., Amherst Junction, WI

It is an insult to me to think that the republican candidate would think that I, as an independent woman voter, would consider Sarah Palin a comparable alternative to Hillary Clinton.
-Patricia K., Acra, NY