Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Independent Women Say NO - Part 2

I really wonder why the pollsters never call me: I am a white mother of four (two boys, two girls). I have been married to the father of my children for 15 years. I’m a Christian and a Sunday School teacher. I’m registered as an Independent and I live in a small, rural town. I’m also a working, professional woman who places a high priority on my family. I am HORRIFIED to hear people say that Sarah Palin in any way represents ME! No thank you. Her candidacy makes me so angry that I can hardly put my anger and frustration into words. It is incredibly insulting to me, as a woman and a mother that she puts herself out there as just one of “the girls”. I never, never want my kids—any of them, the boys or the girls—to face the possibility of living in an America run by Mrs. Palin. God help us!
-Julie G., 39, Windsor, VT

I am neither a white woman, nor a black woman; I am an American woman who was born and raised and has lived solely in the United States for almost 60 years. As an Independent, I am totally disappointed by the negative attack campaign that John McCain has supported during this presidential quest. I had seriously considered voting for him until those negative TV ads (the Britany Spears one was the kicker) started to hit the scene (and has continued with a vengeance). And as a discerning professional woman who loves this country, I cannot fathom why Mr. McCain thinks that I would want to vote for him and his VP choice, given that Ms. Palin represents everything that I am against in both political and personal pursuits. This is the last straw. No way will I vote for the McCain/Palin ticket. Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to a lot of women in this country; she clearly does not speak for me.
-Joyce N., 59, Arlington, MA

As an independent, I chose in the last election to vote for President Bush. It was a choice that I now regret. I say this to say, I'm not a long-term anti-Republican but there is nothing about the Bush administration that I would like to see continued; and McCain's candidacy has been so patently political (all strategy, no substance) that I can't take him seriously as a candidate. I saw little to support in him before he announced his running mate. The selection of Palin only served to destroy any hint of respect I ever had for the man. Palin is clearly the most unqualified, vapid and dangerous woman in politics. If she's the best that the Republican party can come up with as a potential VP and a (God help us) back up should something happen to McCain, I truly feel sorry for you (well no, not really). The real question is, did Palin really think that women would be so dense as to believe that calling herself a dog with lipstick was a good thing? Are we supposed to be so blind that we don't realize that the Republicans are running the foulest campaign I have seen in my lifetime as a distraction to the fact that both McCain and Palin are just not right for the Oval Office?
-Lois W., Orland Hills, IL

As an independent voter not affiliated with either party, I am saddened and offended by McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his VP. Sad because I think they might actually win (though it baffles me), offended because the choice is so patronizing. I accept that the choice of a woman for the VP spot was a smart strategic move for McCain, and that's just politics, but her? The first woman to get this close to the presidency should be someone who is actually qualified, not a political pawn who was chosen over more qualified women because of her celebrity style. Palin is on the wrong side of every issue that is important to me as a woman. The fact that she IS a woman does nothing to endear me, it only magnifies her ultra socially conservative positions all the more so. McCain has most certainly lost my vote.
-Jennifer C., 38, Potomac, MD

I am a 73-year-old retired social worker who registers as an Independent. However, McCain's pick of an inexperienced and arrogant women to be his Vice President clarified for me that my only choice is Obama. Ms. Palin frightens me both for my country and for my grandchildren who might have to reap the results of her so-called value-laden policies should she, God forbid, ever ascend to the Presidency.
-Jane B., 73

First, if Ms. Palin were a man, she would not have been considered for the VP position for a nanosecond. Second, she may very well have been a good mayor for her town (I have no idea if that’s so or not). Perhaps a good governor, but one with little experience for sure. But not nearly enough background to be V/P with a presidential candidate who is old! (I can use the word old, as I am too!) That she could become the president is very worrying to me. Finally, as an independent voter, I could not vote Republican this time because I question the judgment of Mr. McCain and the top people who would make this choice.
-Ellin L., North Conway, NH

As an Independent woman, I would like everyone to know that Sen. McCain's choice of Sarah Palin threw me back over the fence to Obama. I truly thought Senator McCain would put Country First; I respected his life history and his judgment. However, this choice, of a woman whose life history and judgment are questionable, was extremely disappointing.
-S. C.

It is offensive to me and a total outrage that the Republican Party should think that delivering an attractive, charismatic female to the Presidential ticket is the way to win my vote. She does NOT represent my views in any way. I shudder at the thought of such an ignorant, inexperienced, misguided fundamentalist representing the whole of the United States to the rest of the world. I have left the Republican Party for good, and have reregistered as an Independent.
-Germaine G., 47, LA, California