Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Women say NO - Part 16



"Women's rights are an essential part of the overall human rights agenda, trained on the equal dignity and ability to live in freedom all people should enjoy." 
—Ruth Bader Ginsburg

I am an 85 year old woman, living in Kansas. I consider myself a moderate and have voted Republican a lot, but not this time. I planned to vote for Obama anyway but this choice solidified my vote. Mrs Palin does not share my values.

-Mary G., 85, Lenexa, KA


Sarah Palin does not have the experience to become the VP of the US. She might even become the President. McCain looks like he can't even focus half the time. She does not represent working women. She doesn't represent my views. How she thinks she could manage world affairs is beyond me. She doesn't even have much of an education. Haven't we seen from Bush what a not-so-bright former governor can do to this country?

– Marianne, AARP, Annandale, VA


I am a 64-year-old working wife and mother who is beside myself with worry, anger, and grief at how far my country has fallen to even consider John McCain for President let alone Sarah Palin. The proof of McCain's unfitness for office is not only in his selecting her but now in campaigning as HER running mate! Here we have the ideal ticket for anyone who supports women's rights - Obama and Biden - versus two people who think women are brainless fools. The fact that Palin wears a skirt doesn't mean she has respect for women. On the contrary. It just means that she uses her sex to stop any questions about her competence by accusing the questioner of sex-discrimination. Frankly, I didn't buy that argument when Hillary made it and I'm certainly not buying it from Palin.

- Wendy L., 64


As a woman and, most especially, as an American, Sarah Palin's candidacy for the vice presidency offends me deeply. The Republican platform has proven themselves to be geniuses in their attempts to sell us the "story" of Sarah Palin, and I pray that most people see it for what it is--a story. Her view that climate change is not caused by humans ALONE should sufficiently scare people enough not to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket. It is 5 minutes to midnight for our planet--we need leaders who are going to take seriously the extreme peril our planet is in, and not just chant "Drill, Baby, Drill." The lack of integrity John McCain has shown in his choice, and in his pandering to people he used to refer to as "agents of intolerance" is mortifying.

- Emily P., Crestwood, MO


I am a teacher in the great state of Alaska. I have years of experience in 'Bush" Alaska and in the city of Anchorage. I know Alaska issues and concerns. I have a Masters Degree and beyond. I am also a mother. Does this experience make me an acceptable candidate for superintendent of Anchorage School District. Absolutely NOT! Sarah Palin looks and sounds good, but DO NOT have an idea that challenges hers...I am hoping Hillary will debate her and bring out this side of her for the nation to see.

- J. H., 55, Anchorage, AK


I am a lifelong Alaskan. I have been opposed to Palin since she first emerged as a political force in Alaska. I don't believe her, I don't trust her and it would be devastating for the entire country to suffer the harm she has already inflicted on Wasilla and Alaska. I'm terrified how our country values how one plays to the media rather than true intelligence and values.

- Mary S., AK


John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his vice, was a calculated gamble carrying with it frightening brilliance. She is the personification of today's American fundamentalism. This classic bait and switch move has the electorate once again focusing on the culture wars instead of the real ones, on pseudo-feminism instead of tolerance and equality. Aside from Palin's sheer and utter ignorance of national and foreign affairs, he could hardly have picked a more dangerous choice. It is an insult to think that any Hillary supporter will vote the McCain ticket merely because she's a woman.

-Marji M., 55, Cincinnati, OH