Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Undecided women make their decision.


I am a recent college graduate, registered as an Independent, who was too young to vote in the last election. I was so excited with the opportunity to get involved and educate myself on the views and policies of both candidates, unfortunately John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as VP has left me with no choice at all.
I feel disrespected as a woman by the arrogance of the GOP! Their nomination of Sarah Palin is an absolute slap in the face.

Every time I watch her speak, batting her eyelashes and smiling amiably as she simultaneously embarrasses herself and her party with her obvious disregard for facts or knowledge, I am appalled! The women of this country have worked far to hard to gain the equality I am SO proud to now enjoy as a woman for us too throw it all away.
I never thought that I would be basing my first vote, something that I honestly have waited a long time for, on the inadequacies of a vice-presidential candidate rather than the capabilities of a presidential candidate.
-Rachael K., 21, Buffalo, NY

As a woman living in this wonderful country of ours, I am appalled that John McCain selected Sarah Palin as his choice for Vice President. Ms. Palin certainly doesn’t represent or uphold the interests of many American women including myself. I am totally aghast that the extreme right of the Republican Party has taken such a foothold that they could convince John McCain to choose her as his running mate. Doesn’t say too much for Senator McCain! Additionally, everyone has the right to believe what they want, but to think that your extremest views be the law of the land is incredulous. Originally, I was undecided as to whom to support, but with Sarah Palin on this Republican ticket, the choice has become no choice. Change is desperately needed. Let’s all make it happen!!!
-Arline A., 70, Fort Myers, Florida

I was undecided about my vote for president until Palin was selected.
-Sharon D., 60, Lansing, Michigan

I was undecided whom to vote for until Palin joined the ticket with McCain. It is McCain picked her because of her gender, not her accomplishments or what she stands for. Make no mistake, she is a religious zealot who is power hungry and will act to undo everything women have fought for all these years. McCain and Palin will but place this country in more economic jeopardy than currently present, a depression, which most of us have not seen in a lifetime. Palin is ill prepared to be VP. We would only know the full extent of her crazy radical zealot views if elected. Let's all make sure this does not happen. It is vital for our country, our daughter's and women everywhere that we all vote NO TO PALIN
-Linda H., physician from Denver, CO

I was an undecided voter until the selection of Sarah Palin as the VP on the McCain ticket. I was absolutely dumbfounded that he would pick someone so totally unprepared to be a Vice President, let alone President. She in no way represents me or my beliefs. I am now retired but I was a full-time working mother. I want better than this for my daughter's future and intend to vote for Barack Obama who I think will represent the issues I care about as a woman and American.
-Pam Y., 58, Camarillo, CA

I was undecided until the Sarah Palin nomination. If this was done to appeal to women voters, it did the opposite for me.

What an insult to women if the Republican Party thinks we don't look at issues. She reminds me of Dan Quayle... just a pretty face. Even worse than that, Ms. Palin represents the idea that women can be our own worse enemies. Tapping someone as closed-minded and intolerant as Ms. Palin for V.P., a heartbeat away from the highest office in the land, is irresponsible. I don't think women will overlook the facts, just to get a woman into that office.
If we are going to do it, let's do it right! Let's be proud of the woman chosen, proud of her intelligence, knowledge, open mindedness, and wise leadership, not because she's pretty and hard-line.
-Esther D.

As a registered Independent, I'd been holding out in deciding which way to go on this election. However, once I saw Sarah Palin being interviewed by our gentlest journalist, (Charles Gibson), and watched her hem, haw and try to bluff her way through questions that even I knew the answers to, ("the Bush doctrine?"), it was a much easier decision.
This is the ultimate insult to ALL women.
-Jeanie C, 52, Los Angeles, California

Governor Palin does not represent me as a woman and if John McCain was so shallow to think that just because she is a woman, all woman would vote for her/ them, he is and was very mistaken. It took us long enough to get we are now and by electing this pair, women would take a giant step back.
-Janice L. 59 years wise, Independent Voter, Lake Park, Florida

As a previously undecided voter, McCain's "choice" of Sarah Palin has cemented my support for Senator Obama. Sarah Palin is a slap in the face to every female in this country. I am not only insulted by her selection but also by her views, her intellect, her corny, canned responses and cliché sound bites.
The Republican party's audacity to select such a woefully inadequate candidate is even more offensive. She is nothing more than window dressing, if she were not attractive she would NEVER have been considered for VP. Her nomination confirms the Republican leadership is truly arrogant and outrageously out of touch. As an educated, female voter, who has NEVER missed an election, I pride myself on carefully considering candidates regardless of party affiliation, it is not my priority to "identify" with a candidate or to select someone with whom I would want to "have a beer" . I require candidates who have the ability and intellect to accomplish the task at hand. Simply put, Sarah Palin can not do the job and would be an embarrassment. Period.
I will not gamble my country's future on Sen. McCain's ridiculous choice for second in command.
-Angie P., Florida Swim mom